Revision Techniques

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Revision Techniques

Post  GeekChic112 on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 07:08

What do you think is the revision technique that helps you the most? Do you make content mind-maps for all your key topics? Or Flash cards with quiz questions? Or are you the kind that just reads over and over?

Discuss here!

I personally try and do a range of techniques, especially for my first exams that I did. This way I could differentiate between all my work and then picture it in the exam. Then once I think I've got a good amount of knowledge back up together- I will use a past paper to test my exam skills. Then keep going back a forth between the two. I think it's useless JUST doing exam papers as they always change the course so you may only have 1 or 2 and therefore it isn't a good method to rely on. But then not doing past papers isn't helpful as you won't be able to know how to answer the questions. It's all a balance.

User

Back to top Go down

Re: Revision Techniques

Post  DalekEmperor101 on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 16:40

I usually revise while listening to music or sometimes i watch videos from that area that i revise from

DalekEmperor101 wrote:I Worry About You :laugh: 

How can you expect to save others, when you can't save yourself?
DalekEmperor101
User

Job/hobbies : Actor/Writer
Fav' Movie Character : Captain Jean Luc Picard

http://whoviansunited.englishboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 16:55

I have revision guides which I read, and I get my parents to ask me the questions from it. I also like flash cards, we made them in class for C1 in which I got an A* in, so I hope we make them this time. Also, I made posters with important information that I found hard to remember, and put them up around the house so I could always look at it.

Back to top Go down

Post  MarthaJonesFan on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 17:23

I just read through my book and read Bitesize, that always helps me.

Fav' Movie Character : n/a

http://meetthevamps.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tombaker64 on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 17:27

I read the revision guides, answer the questions from it and go on Bitesize. I'm going to make a powerpoint for my History GCSE though because there is absolutely loads I need to remember for that.

Last TV Episode Watched: Doctor Who: Paradise Towers
Last Film Watched: Birdemic 2: The Resurrection
tombaker64
User

Fav' Movie Character : Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 17:44

I just read the revision guide and then do papers. By 'do papers', I mean complete one, mark it, see where I messed up and then review those topics/areas. I have to say, although syllabuses change, even the ones from the past sets are fine, because there's never a huge amount of change, and I just miss out the questions on stuff that's not in it any more. It's more the types of questions which is the problem, rather than the actual info itself. If that's a problem, then you need to go back to looking and taking in the info again. Thankfully I don't need to spend long looking over the info again, and tend to move in to the paper stage pretty quickly.
Pendrin
Administrator

http://nerdsoup.englishboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oswin on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 17:55

That's another reason I dislike past papers - being the candidate and the marker isn't a great idea, because you'll obviously go easy on yourself - but when you get to the real exam, you're going to have a complete stranger marking your paper, who's not going to be bias in any way, or let any marks slip, or anything else like that.

Anyway, my preferred methods of study and revision are looking through Success Guides, my jotter notes, and if I am forced to - past papers, and then giving them to my teacher(s) to mark.
Oswin
User

Fav' Movie Character : The Invisible Actor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:23

I don't go easy in myself because I know it does help. I always question every mark, and would consider myself quite a harsh-marker, sometimes overly so! I sometimes benefit from marking myself, because it allows me to evaluate how effective I am at communicating my ideas, compared to my understanding of them.
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 18:41

In my year, we're doing all-new exams so past papers aren't an option for us, they only have one sample paper and we do that in class.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrin on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 19:03

You're year 10 right? The syllabuses haven't actually changed for your year and below, just the way you sit the exams. I believe there's just one big exam at the end for each subject, so you do them 'the old fashioned way'. Some subjects are still taken that way anyway, and even for the ones that aren't, the content and question style will stay pretty much the same as the modular ones, as it's still the same people writing them. Therefore, the papers our year sat with the new syllabuses they introduced in 2011 should still be viable, however they won't take the same format. That still means they're ok, because the questions will be written in the same way, of the same difficulty, and will test the same stuff. Only difference is that it will all be split up into the various modules, as opposed to being all in one paper.
Pendrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Oswin on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 20:00

DalekSupreme08 wrote:In my year, we're doing all-new exams so past papers aren't an option for us, they only have one sample paper and we do that in class.

Are you in Scotland, DS08? (given your description of the curriculum change.)
Oswin
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 20:04

No, couldn't be much further (while still being in Britain), but we are definately doing a different course in Chemistry and Biology, which we started last year (Y9) and will finish in June this year (Y10). It's still modular, but we'll be doing all other GCSEs linear, so two exams at the end of Year 11.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalek101 on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 22:15

Past papers are ok, in my last maths exam in the build up I went to maths revision sessions once a week and did past papers. You cant revise maths only practice it so proved a real help. However other subjects I cant practice, I just get bored and fed up of it. I learn more reading old notes and just getting them into my head which makes me a visual learner I think.

'Its only rock n roll, but I like it'
Doctor Who Silent Figure Series and Dalek101's figure reviews, watch now: http://www.youtube.com/user/signumfilms
Dalek101
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Oswin on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 00:02

An. I see. My year (S4) are the last ever group to study the SG course, and the curriculum is changing this summer (when I leave) to more current courses, and courses designed to accommodate a lot of people's likes and preferences. Art will now accommodate design and fashion courses, photography, etc whilst PE will entail sports science, etc.
Oswin
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalek101 on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 20:11

Wish I could take photography, my school don't do it though so have to settle for normal media. I could have taken it at college but didn't fancy going to one!

'Its only rock n roll, but I like it'
Doctor Who Silent Figure Series and Dalek101's figure reviews, watch now: http://www.youtube.com/user/signumfilms
Dalek101
User

Back to top Go down

Post  AmyNoble on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 21:52

DalekEmperor101 wrote:I usually revise while listening to music or sometimes i watch videos from that area that i revise from

I do the same too, probably do that in Graphics when I do coursework too Smile I know now and then when I get the chance I look through my revision books which I got in September

Up on a hill across a blue lake, that's where I had my first heart break

Swedish House Mafia ft John Martin - Don't You Worry Child
AmyNoble
User

Job/hobbies : Music, Food, Money, Maths and TV
Fav' Movie Character : Harry Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  GeekChic112 on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 23:51

Photography is great as you don't have to revise for anything. The Exam (ESA) is basically just another piece of coursework, however you have 10 hours in complete silence to do editing, analysis etc.

I'm making Mind-Maps for the 4 key topics of my history course. I'm also making just note sheets with all the methods in maths.

User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top